Second Grade Perks: Organization and Butterfly Unit

Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Organization and Butterfly Unit

I have been working crazy hard in my room to get things organized. I wanted to share a really neat idea I saw and tweaked to make my own. I have taken my main teaching topics (mostly common core standard areas) and put all of my copies, games, and materials for that skill in a gift box and labeled it. Also,right inside when you open the box is a list of other things that go along with the topic such as book titles, the specific common core standard, brainpop junior videos, and other materials that I will need that would not fit in the box. That way when it is time to teach contractions I just go to my box and there is everything I need for small group, whole group,. or individual lessons. Here is a picture of what I have started. I still have a long way to go.


I will even have boxes for each month so that my materials for Halloween and Columbus Day will all be together for that month.


We have started a butterfly unit in science which I am super pumped about. We are raising butterflies. Our little caterpillars came in yesterday and we created their home. The stuff in the bottom is their mallow that they will eat on. The kids had to smash it down into the bottom of the cup. It did not smell so great and some of the girls freaked out just a little. I'll keep posting pictures of their progress.




2 comments:

  1. Your gift box organization is such a good idea!!! I'm definitely going to try it!!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes some time, but it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete