Second Grade Perks: Daily Calendar Routine

Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Daily Calendar Routine

I'm sure you know by now but TPT is having a huge cyber sale very soon. Everything in my little shop will be 20% off plus you can use the code CYBER to get an additional 10% off. Go ahead and get your wish list ready. I know mine is!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Heather-Perkins

I wanted to share something that I think you would really enjoy. I have been using it since last year and it has been marvelous for my classes. It is our Daily Calendar Routine.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Daily-Calendar-Routine-Based-on-CCSS-631987
 
Basically I took all of the 2nd grade CCSS and made a routine for our calendar time that changes with each nine weeks. I have it worked out where the skills for each nine weeks are in the order that I need them and that is the great thing about this. You can take the materials that are provided and move them around to use whenever you need them. They do not have to be used in the order that it is presented in.
 
What my kids love about this is the binders they get to use with dry erase markers. I set my binders up last year and now they are good to go for however long I need to use them. Each page the students need is in a sheet protector and we just erase at the end of our calendar time. Here is what my kids look like during our calendar routine each day.
 


 
I have one big bulletin board that is used just for our calendar that looks like this:
 


 
Most of the things you see on the board come in the packet. I have all of the materials for each nine weeks organized something like this:


 
These labels are also included. You will also find several options for setting up your students' calendar notebook.
 
 
 
So for each day we take about 10-20 minutes and cover each skill I want to use in that particular nine weeks. This way my students are getting exposed to these CCSS skills on a daily basis. Here is a breakdown of the skills but remember you don't have to follow this order.
 
1st:
Basic addition and subtraction
Word problems
Even/Odd, number/word/expanded form, place value,10/100 more/less than
Greater than less than
Money
Parts of speech
Sentence correcting

2nd:
Word problems
Even/Odd, number/word/expanded form, place value,10/100 more/less than
Greater than less than
Money
Time
Parts of speech
Sentence correcting

3rd:
Word problems
Even/Odd, number/word/expanded form, place value,10/100 more/less than
Greater than less than
Fractions
Money
Time
Irregular plurals
Sentence correcting

4th:
Word problems
Even/Odd, number/word/expanded form, place value,10/100 more/less than
Greater than less than
Arrays
shapes
Parts of speech
Apostrophes in contractions and possessives
Sentence correcting
 
If you think this is something you might like to try head on over and get it on your wish list so you can grab it up on December 2nd -3rd during the big sale. If you do decide to use this send me some pics of your board and I will share them in a post. Click here to see it on TPT. 
 

2 comments: