Second Grade Perks: Spirals

Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Spirals

I'm sure you all have seen Amy Lemon's ELA and Math spiral ideas, but if not I want to share it with you this morning because I use them and LOVE them. They have made my life so much easier. I gave my kiddos two spiral notebooks. One for math and one for ELA. I used Amy's free labels and let them glue them to the front. All you do is let the kids do their work in them and then I have them turn them in to me ever so often to get some grades (great thing to have when it is report card time and you are low on grades). It is also a great way for them to go back when they are not understanding how to do something and see how they did it before. And the best part is my kids love having these. I think it gives them a feeling of responsibility. Here are some pictures of us using them last week when we were studying nouns. They did a noun/verb hunt. I hid nouns and verbs around the room and they found them and wrote them in their spiral under the correct heading. Then they gave me examples and a definition of verb. This will for sure be used for a grade for upcoming progress reports.







1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of using this as a grading tool. I so often "observe" student work, but don't keep it. I "know" where my kids are, but love the idea of the spirals. I'll have to get some for next year!

    What i have learned

    ReplyDelete